45. [L + S] Real English Conversation: Marking the Distance [2m37s]

#2: Marking the Distance

Bổ túc từ mới trước khi nghe


Từ / Cụm từ Phiên âm Nghĩa Ví dụ
surgeon /ˈsɜːr.dʒən/ (n) bác sĩ phẫu thuật, người giải phẫu (a doctor who is trained to perform surgery) - His finger was cut off when he caught it in a machine, but the surgeon was able to sew it back on.
tumor /ˈtuːmər/ (n) khối u (a mass of cells growing in or on a part of the body where they should not, usually causing medical problems) - a brain tumour / a brain tumor
- a benign/malignant tumour (tumor)
stroke /stroʊk/ (n) đột quỵ (a sudden change in the blood supply to a part of the brain, sometimes causing a loss of the ability to move particular parts of the body) - She suffered/had a stroke that left her unable to speak.
- The stroke left him partly paralyzed.
heal up (phrasal verb) hồi phục (if an injury heals up, the skin or bone grows back together and becomes healthy again) - The cut will heal up in a few days.
come out of (phrasal verb)
1. kết thúc (to reach the end of a process or event)
2. là kết quả của (to be the result of something)
confabulation /kənˌfæ.bjəˈleɪ.ʃn/ 1. nói chuyện, tán phét - an informal conversation
2. triệu chứng rối loạn trí nhớ, những ảo giác, ký ức giả tạo về các sự kiện trong quá khứ. Bệnh nhân nói về những gì đã xảy ra với anh ta, và tại những nơi anh đến thăm, trong khi mọi người đều biết rằng điều này chưa bao giờ xảy ra.
race /reɪs/ 1. cuộc đua (a competition between people, animals, vehicles, etc. to see which one is the faster or fastest)
2. giống, chủng tộc, nòi
- Their horse came third in the race last year.
- Who won the race?
- People of many different races were living side by side.
get over something/somebody 1. hồi phục, bình phục (to get better after an illness, or feel better after something or someone has made you unhappy)
2. vượt qua
- It took him years to get over the shock of his wife dying.
- She's only just getting over the death of her husband.
- It took me a week to get over the flu.
- I think he can get over the test easily.
work like a charm hiệu nghiệm, nhanh chóng, y như có charm - bùa phép
(to be very effective, possibly in a surprising way)
- I don't believe in spanking my child or yelling at him. Instead, I send him to his room to sit alone, calm down and reflect on what he's done. It work like a charm.
as if on cue as if on cue
(right) on cue
(phrase) ngay lúc đó (happening or done at exactly the right moment)
+ as if: như thể
+ cue:
    (n) (tech) tín hiệu
    (v) gợi ý, ra hiệu, ám hiệu
- As if on cue, Sam arrived.
- The sky, as if on cue, was overcast.
- Right on cue the door opened.
injury /ˈɪn.dʒə.ri/ (n) chấn thương
(physical harm or damage to someone's body caused by an accident or an attack)
- Two players are out of the team because of injury.
- He was rushed to hospital but died from his injuries.

Introduction

In 2008, surgeons removed a tumor from Gweneviere Mann's brain. She suffered a stroke during the surgery, and as a result, she lost her short-term memory. At StoryCorps, Gweneviere talked with her boyfriend, Yasir Salem, about how she is adjusting to her new life.

Bỏ highlight
Tích vào ô để bật chỉnh sửa:
- Chuột trái bôi đen những chỗ có nối âm, flap T, âm cuối... để luyện nói:
+ Bôi đen 1 lần để highlight.
+ Bôi đen lần 2 vào phần đã bôi để bỏ highlight phần đó.
Editable

Gweneviere: I always have a note card in my pocket that tells me what the date is. And I have to write down when I eat meals because sometimes I might eat lunch three times because I don't remember that I ate already.

Gweneviere: The doctors say the brain can continue healing up to two years but whatever is not back by that point is not likely to ever come back.

Yasir: So you had your surgery in November 2008 right?

Gweneviere: Right. And so ... I'm gonna have to live the rest of my life this way, and the thing that scares me the most is, like, the thought that I will wake up one day and I'll be 80 years old and I won't remember the last 40 years of my life.

Yasir: Do you remember when you first came out of surgery?

Gweneviere: I know that I used to always think that I was in San Francisco.

Yasir: What are those things called? Do you remember?

Gweneviere: Confabulations?

Yasir: Yeah.

Gweneviere: Yeah. Do you remember another confabulation that I used to have?

Yasir: You used to think that your co-worker Barbara was your mom.

Gweneviere: (Laughing) That's right.

Yasir: Even though she's a completely different race than you.

Gweneviere: That's funny, yeah.

Yasir: There was one point where you were confused because you thought we had broken up and I would ask you, like, "Why do you think you're staying in my place?". You're like "Well, we're just cool like that".

Gweneviere: (Laughing) Yeah, sorry about that, after all you've been doing for me.

Yasir: Thankfully, you got over that.

Gweneviere: I'm thankful for that as well.

Yasir: So is there any positive things that have come out of losing your memory?

Gweneviere: Well... I ran the New York City Marathon with you, my boyfriend. And um one of the things I asked you was to help me as a trick to not let me look at any of the mile markers along the way and if I asked you how long we'd been running to always tell me 10 or 15 minutes.

Gweneviere: (Laughing) And it really worked like a charm! And when we got to the end you and I running across the finish line and, as if on cue, I started crying my eyes out, 'cause I was so happy.

Gweneviere: You know I have spent a lot of days since my injury comparing myself to what I used to be and feeling sad about the things I've lost, but, doing the marathon shows me that I still have a lot left in me.

Transcript

Để cải thiện khả năng nghe tiếng Anh, chỉ xem để tìm ra những phần nghe khuyết sau khi đã cố gắng nghe nhiều lần, nhiều lần mà vẫn không thể nghe ra chính xác những từ người bản xứ nói. Làm vậy để hình thành dần thói quen không lệ thuộc vào phụ đề. Khi xem phụ đề, chú ý cách người bản xứ nối âm trong từng câu, ngữ điệu, trọng âm lên xuống, những ending sound của những từ đứng đơn lẻ ngoài -s, -ed ví dụ như list, rest, like, watch, of ... (ghi nhớ ending sound sẽ giúp nghe được nối âm một cách tự nhiên), và những phát âm dạng rút gọn 's, 've, 'd, 're ... sau đó đọc lại từng câu đúng theo những chú ý này. Đọc làm gì? Luyện nghe thôi đọc làm gì? Thứ nhất để rèn khẩu hình miệng cho speaking, khi nói một câu dài, có rất nhiều chỗ mình tưởng chừng dễ nhưng khi nói thì méo hết mồm như kiểu bị ngắn lưỡi vậy, và chỉ luyện nói mới giúp mình phát hiện và cải thiện được những chỗ khuyết này. Thứ hai cũng là để cải thiện nghe, mình không nghe được chính xác từ mặc dù đã biết từ đó vì trong đầu đang tồn tại một phát âm sai của từ theo kiểu Việt hóa (do nhìn thoáng qua từ và đoán phát âm hoặc nghe được từ những người xung quanh phát âm sai nên cũng hình thành phát âm sai theo - tất cả đều là mình không cẩn thận trong việc tự tập phát âm chuẩn). Vì vậy việc đọc ra thành lời là cực kì quan trọng.


Source:

https://www.voanews.com/a/4341972.html


Mini Game

Mình thiết kế một trò chơi nhỏ ở dưới đây để luyện viết và rèn trí nhớ (luyện não - Train The Brain). Nó gồm những từ mới mình đã đề cập ở đầu bài viết. Cách chơi: Với những gợi ý là nghĩa của từ, mình sẽ viết ra từ được nói đến ở đây bằng tiếng Anh. Có 2 chức năng kèm ở đây là chọn giọng nói và tích hợp thêm tìm kiếm hình ảnh (ghi nhớ từ qua hình ảnh). Bắt đầu thôi.

Integrate Google Images Search Engine

Words list suggestion

Ready? Click here to start!
Time remaining:
Current score: out of
You got out of . That's %!
      light bulb

      Mẹo nhỏ nhắc nhở mình học tiếng Anh

      Trước khi kết thúc, mình muốn chia sẻ nốt một mẹo cho những bạn mới học và rất rất rất lười lười lười giống mình. Xuất phát là một đứa lười, nên mình hiểu việc tạo một thói quen học tiếng Anh là rất khó, nhiều lúc biết nguồn hay để học tiếng Anh, nhưng cũng lười đến nỗi chả buồn vào. Vì vậy mình chợt nảy ra một ý nghĩ nếu bật trình duyệt lên mà trang cần học có sẵn ngay thì sao nhỉ, chắc chắn là lười quá mức thì vẫn sẽ tắt nó đi rồi mở tab facebook hoặc tab xem phim như bình thường, nhưng ít ra nó đã nhắc nhở mình cần phải học tiếng Anh, học luôn và ngay, hơn là vào lại trang đó, tìm tìm phần cần học nghe đã muốn lười.

      Popular posts from this blog

      16. Bạn có thích đọc truyện không? Hãy luyện đọc cùng mình

      43. [Reading + Listening] Historical places

      Chia sẻ tài liệu cùng luyện tập