58. [L + S] Real English Conversation: Her Life in Japan [3m42s]

#15: Her Life in Japan

Bổ túc từ mới trước khi nghe


Từ / Cụm từ Phiên âm Nghĩa Ví dụ
utensil /juːˈten.sl/ (n) đồ dùng, dụng cụ (a tool that is used in the house) - Wash your hands and all cooking utensils after preparing raw meat.
- a new set of cooking utensils
- In the drawer was a selection of kitchen utensils - spoons, spatulas, knives, and whisks.
futon /ˈfuːtɑːn/ (n) đệm gấp Nhật Bản (trải trực tiếp trên sàn)
- Let's fold up the futon.
- Let's spread out the futon.
- I'm hanging up this futon to dry.
plush /plʌʃ/ (n, adj) bằng vải nhung lông (thick, soft cloth, with a surface like short fur, used especially for covering furniture)

(adj) xa hoa, sang trọng, lộng lẫy (expensive, comfortable, and of high quality)
- He took me out to a really plush restaurant.
- The firm is headquartered in a plush $ 2. 5 million office building on Woodside Road.
- I was surprised at the plush red carpeting and comfortable chairs.
- We are manufacturer of plush toys, dolls, curtains, bedsheets, etc.
- The room was furnished in red plush.
- This chair is plush.
quilt /kwɪlt/ (n) mền, chăn mỏng (a decorative cover for a bed)
- I sleep with two quilts in the winter.
- During the winter, I sleep with two quilts.
duvet /duːˈveɪ/ (n) chăn lông vũ, lông vịt (a large, soft, flat bag filled with feathers or artificial material used as a covering on a bed)
- She climbed into bed and pulled the duvet over her.
- It is sunny day again, please hang your duvet out.
- It is too hot to sleep under the duvet.
fabric /ˈfæ.brɪk/ (n) 1. vải (cloth or material for making clothes, covering furniture, etc.)
2. giàn khung, kết cấu (the structure or parts of something)
- I'd like to have this fabric dyed.
- She bought some fabric to make shirts from.
- The fabric was red, flecked with gold.
barrier /ˈbæ.ri.ər/ (n) vật chắn, lớp chắn, hàng rào (anything used or acting to block someone from going somewhere or from doing something, or to block something from happening) - The police put a barrier across the road to stop the traffic.
- The car crashed into the safety barrier and burst into flames.
- Show your ticket at the barrier.
- They fell in love in spite of the language barrier.
detachable /dɪˈtæ.tʃə.bl/ (adj) có thể tháo rời, có thể gỡ (that can be taken off) - The coat has a detachable hood.
- The handle is detachable from the bag.
as long as (conjunction) miễn là - My parents don't care what job I do as long as I'm happy.
- I'll remember that film as long as I live.
- You will pass the test as long as you study hard.
- I will go as long as it is free.
recline /rɪˈklaɪn/ (v) ngả, tựa, dựa (to sit or lie in a relaxed way, with your body leaning backwards) - She was reclining on a sofa.
call /kɑːl/ A call is a decision (a decision that you have to make, especially when you have to choose between two possible actions) - I don’t really care where we go right now for dinner. It’s your call.
- 'Do we offer him the job?' - 'It’s your call.'
- In cases like this, it’s the President that has to make the call.
- a tough/hard/difficult/easy call
Bỏ highlight
Tích vào ô để bật chỉnh sửa:
- Chuột trái bôi đen những chỗ có nối âm, flap T, âm cuối... để luyện nói:
+ Bôi đen 1 lần để highlight.
+ Bôi đen lần 2 vào phần đã bôi để bỏ highlight phần đó.
Editable

Warren: So Antoinette, you’ve been living in Japan for a while now, right?

Antoinette: Yes, that's right.

Warren: Well, can you tell me, do you like to use chopsticks or forks and knives more?

Antoinette: It depends on what I’m eating really. For the most part, I enjoy using chopsticks. They are easy to use. I don’t have to worry about cutting anything. And especially if I’m eating Japanese food, which tends to be chopped in small pieces, small bite-size pieces, chopsticks are perfect.

But when I’m eating Western food or spaghetti, I prefer using Western style utensils.

Warren: Oh okay, that makes sense. What about sleeping, do you like to sleep on like a Western bed or a Japanese futon?

Antoinette: Actually, it depends on the season.

Warren: Why is that?

Antoinette: Well, in summer, I prefer sleeping on a futon. It seems cooler than a bed. But in winter, I love a cozy, plush bed with lots of pillows and quilts or duvets. And yeah, I like to feel cozy.

Warren: That sounds nice. Okay. How about having shoes on or off in the house?

Antoinette: Hmm, I like to go barefoot – well, with socks. My feet get cold.

Warren: Well, do you use slippers?

Antoinette: No.

Warren: Okay.

Antoinette: I find slippers uncomfortable unless they are the kind that fit your foot. They’re not actually the correct size for my foot.

Warren: Oh, I see. So Japanese slippers are a different size from you.

Antoinette: They are one-size fits all and I just feel like kicking them off anytime.

Warren: Right. Okay. How about, you know, in Japan, a lot of times people sit on the floor, but you don’t really do that very much in the United States. Do you like sitting in chairs or on the floor more?

Antoinette: I like both actually. Again, it depends on the season. The floor is so nice and cool in summer, and I like just feeling that coolness. But in winter, I want fabric underneath me, and I want cushions that tend to act – provide a barrier for cold wind.

Warren: Right, right. Eating out is a little different, too. I think in Japan, you tend to share all the meals that you have but maybe back home you usually just buy one meal.

Antoinette: That’s true. Maybe I’m a germ-phobic American – I don’t know. I like eating my own food. I don’t like to share. If it’s one huge serving plate that’s meant for several people, then fine. But I like just having my own plate of food.

Warren: Oh, okay. There’s one more. What about having a shower or a bath? I think in Japan, they usually have like a detachable shower-head and you can shower yourself before going into the bath. What do you prefer?

Antoinette: Well, I like showers, either way as long as the water is hot. Whether it’s detachable or not, as long as the water is hot, I like showers. And I like having water run down my body. That’s a pleasant feeling. But I also like sitting in a hot tub of water but not for too long.

Warren: Well, what about the bathtubs because I think they are different sizes, aren’t they?

Antoinette: They are. I like the fact that Japanese baths allow you to sit in water up to your neck. But I also like the fact that Western style baths allow you to recline in the water.

Warren: Right. You can stretch out more.

Antoinette: So you can stretch out, yeah.

Warren: Oh, okay. I see.

Antoinette: That’s a hard call.

Transcript

Để cải thiện khả năng nghe tiếng Anh, chỉ xem để tìm ra những phần nghe khuyết sau khi đã cố gắng nghe nhiều lần, nhiều lần mà vẫn không thể nghe ra chính xác những từ người bản xứ nói. Làm vậy để hình thành dần thói quen không lệ thuộc vào phụ đề. Khi xem phụ đề, chú ý cách người bản xứ nối âm trong từng câu, ngữ điệu, trọng âm lên xuống, những ending sound của những từ đứng đơn lẻ ngoài -s, -ed ví dụ như list, rest, like, watch, of ... (ghi nhớ ending sound sẽ giúp nghe được nối âm một cách tự nhiên), và những phát âm dạng rút gọn 's, 've, 'd, 're ... sau đó đọc lại từng câu đúng theo những chú ý này. Đọc làm gì? Luyện nghe thôi đọc làm gì? Thứ nhất để rèn khẩu hình miệng cho speaking, khi nói một câu dài, có rất nhiều chỗ mình tưởng chừng dễ nhưng khi nói thì méo hết mồm như kiểu bị ngắn lưỡi vậy, và chỉ luyện nói mới giúp mình phát hiện và cải thiện được những chỗ khuyết này. Thứ hai cũng là để cải thiện nghe, mình không nghe được chính xác từ mặc dù đã biết từ đó vì trong đầu đang tồn tại một phát âm sai của từ theo kiểu Việt hóa (do nhìn thoáng qua từ và đoán phát âm hoặc nghe được từ những người xung quanh phát âm sai nên cũng hình thành phát âm sai theo - tất cả đều là mình không cẩn thận trong việc tự tập phát âm chuẩn). Vì vậy việc đọc ra thành lời là cực kì quan trọng.


Source:

http://www.elllo.org/english/1351/T1359-Antoinette-Japan.htm


Mini Game

Mình thiết kế một trò chơi nhỏ ở dưới đây để luyện viết và rèn trí nhớ (luyện não - Train The Brain). Nó gồm những từ mới mình đã đề cập ở đầu bài viết. Cách chơi: Với những gợi ý là nghĩa của từ, mình sẽ viết ra từ được nói đến ở đây bằng tiếng Anh. Có 2 chức năng kèm ở đây là chọn giọng nói và tích hợp thêm tìm kiếm hình ảnh (ghi nhớ từ qua hình ảnh). Bắt đầu thôi.

Integrate Google Images Search Engine

Words list suggestion

Ready? Click here to start!
Time remaining:
Current score: out of
You got out of . That's %!
      light bulb

      Mẹo nhỏ nhắc nhở mình học tiếng Anh

      Trước khi kết thúc, mình muốn chia sẻ nốt một mẹo cho những bạn mới học và rất rất rất lười lười lười giống mình. Xuất phát là một đứa lười, nên mình hiểu việc tạo một thói quen học tiếng Anh là rất khó, nhiều lúc biết nguồn hay để học tiếng Anh, nhưng cũng lười đến nỗi chả buồn vào. Vì vậy mình chợt nảy ra một ý nghĩ nếu bật trình duyệt lên mà trang cần học có sẵn ngay thì sao nhỉ, chắc chắn là lười quá mức thì vẫn sẽ tắt nó đi rồi mở tab facebook hoặc tab xem phim như bình thường, nhưng ít ra nó đã nhắc nhở mình cần phải học tiếng Anh, học luôn và ngay, hơn là vào lại trang đó, tìm tìm phần cần học nghe đã muốn lười.

      Popular posts from this blog

      16. Bạn có thích đọc truyện không? Hãy luyện đọc cùng mình

      43. [Reading + Listening] Historical places

      Chia sẻ tài liệu cùng luyện tập