59. [L + S] Real English Conversation: Shower Schedule [3m29s]

#16: Shower Schedule

Bổ túc từ mới trước khi nghe


Từ / Cụm từ Phiên âm Nghĩa Ví dụ
come up (phrasal verb)
1. tiến về phía ai đó (to move towards someone)
2. đề cập tới vấn đề gì (to be mentioned or talked about in conversation)
3. xuất hiện (When the sun or moon comes up, it rises; If information comes up on a computer screen, it appears there.)
4. việc gì đó xảy ra đột ngột mà bạn không ngờ tới (to happen, usually unexpectedly)
- A young girl came up to me and asked for money.
- He came up to me at a party and introduced himself.
- What points came up at the meeting?
- I've got to go - something has just come up at home and I'm needed there.
- I was gonna visit you last afternoon, but something came up and I couldn’t go.
absurd /əbˈsɜːrd/ (adj) vô lý, phi lý (not logical and sensible)
2. ngu xuẩn, ngớ ngẩn; buồn cười, lố bịch (stupid and unreasonable, or silly in a humorous way)
- Do I look absurd in this hat?
- Don't be so absurd! Of course I want you to come.
- It's absurd to waste your money on a machine you'll never use.
- What an absurd thing to say!
- Don't show us up by wearing something absurd.
the norm (n) bình thường, phổ biến (normal or common)
- Messaging by Facebook is now the norm, not e-mail.
- Families of six or seven are the norm in Borough Park.
- Working moms are the norm these days.
assume /əˈsuːm/ (v) cho rằng (là đúng), giả sử (là đúng)
(to accept something to be true without question or proof)
- We were wrong to assume that she'd agree.
- We assumed you were dead.
- I assumed you were Canadian.
- I assume that was Tom's wife.
typically /ˈtɪ.pɪkli/ (adv) 1. thường, trung bình (used to say that something usually happens in the way that you are stating; when you are giving an average or usual example of a particular thing)
2. điển hình, tiêu biểu (in a way that shows the usual qualities or features of a particular type of person, thing or group)
- The factory typically produces 500 chairs a week.
- A typically priced meal will be around $10.
- Typically, a doctor will see about 30 patients a day.
- Tickets for such events will typically cost around thirty dollars.
- typically American hospitality
- Sarah has typically British fair skin.
condition (someone or something) to (something) 1. làm thích ứng, thích nghi (to acclimate someone or an animal to something)
2. huấn luyện, làm quen với (to train or adapt someone or an animal to do something; to get used to something)
- I am not conditioned to living in hot weather.
- She soon conditioned the children to the cold weather.
- How long will it take to condition the dog to our commands?
- The dog has been conditioned to run to his bowl when I open the cabinet where we store his food.
- Years of office work have conditioned me to get up at 6 AM, even on the weekends.
conditioner /kənˈdɪ.ʃənər/ (n) 1. dầu xả (a liquid that makes hair soft and shiny after washing)
2. nước xả (a liquid, used after washing clothes, that makes them softer)
- shampoo and conditioner
- fabric conditioner
- I got the conditioner in a free offer with my shampoo.
- Fabric conditioner is added during the final rinse.
humidity /hjuːˈmɪ.də.t̬i/ (n) độ ẩm (a measurement of how much water there is in the air) - The temperature is almost 80 degrees, and the humidity 35%.
- humidity sensor
- The relative humidity will be about 80% today.
frizzy /ˈfrɪ.zi/ (adj) quăn
(of hair) very curly and not smooth or shiny
- Some people have naturally frizzy hair.
- Mrs Marriot was an old woman with frizzy red hair and no teeth.
- The rain made my hair go frizzy.
moisture /ˈmɔɪs.tʃər/ (n) hơi ẩm, nước ẩm đọng lại (very small drops of water that are present in the air, on a surface or in a substance)
- Humidity means the amount of moisture in the air.
- Humidity is a measure of moisture in the atmosphere.
- The moisture in the air makes it humid today.
- It contains not less than 7.5 percent milk fat and not more than 3.5 percent moisture.
- In dry areas, many people add moisture to the air by using a humidifier.
decent /ˈdiːsnt/ (adj) 1. of a good enough standard or quality; pretty good
2. tử tế (honest and fair; treating people with respect)
- a decent meal/job/place to live
- There are no decent schools round here.
- She's on quite a good/decent salary in her present job.
- He treated you very nicely and acted like a decent guy.
- They are fair and decent employers.
waxy /ˈwæk.si/ (adj) trơn, bóng (slightly shiny; looking like wax)
Bỏ highlight
Tích vào ô để bật chỉnh sửa:
- Chuột trái bôi đen những chỗ có nối âm, flap T, âm cuối... để luyện nói:
+ Bôi đen 1 lần để highlight.
+ Bôi đen lần 2 vào phần đã bôi để bỏ highlight phần đó.
Editable

Todd: So Meg, I have an interesting question for you.

Meg: Okay.

Todd: So the other day I was talking with a friend and she asked me about, you know, showers like how many showers do I take a day. And I think I had mentioned I take three showers a day, that’s why that came up. And she thought that was absurd that nobody should take three showers a day.

Meg: Yeah. It seems a little crazy to me.

Todd: That’s odd. Like, you know, I thought that was kind of the norm actually these days.

Meg: Really?

Todd: Yeah, because you take a shower when you wake up. Then most people go to the gym. You take a shower when you’re done at the gym, which is usually mid-afternoon or early evening. And then I usually take a shower before I go to bed.

Meg: I don’t think I have ever known anyone who’s taken three showers a day.

Todd: Really?

Meg: Do people that you know take three showers a day?

Todd: I think I just assumed that all of my friends kind of did the same thing because they are guys and they also play sports. So they also take a shower – so yeah, when they wake up, before they go to bed and after they work out.

Meg: Yeah. Well, I guess sports or working out definitely makes a difference. I might totally frighten you with the showers that I take because I do not shower three times a day. Typically, I shower once every two days.

Todd: Really?

Meg: Yeah, because especially with my skin, it gets pretty dried out if I’m showering so often with the soap and the water and everything. So I have to be careful with that. But if I’d played sports or something where I got sweaty, I’m definitely taking a shower after that, an extra shower. But yeah, I’ve never taken three showers in one day I don’t think.

Todd: Well so you – even when it’s hot in summer, you just do it once every two days?

Meg: If I get sweaty, then maybe more than that. But I don’t sweat very easily, so I usually don’t have to worry about it.

Todd: Oh wow. No I think it must be what your skin gets conditioned to because one of the reasons why I always take a shower is not that I feel dirty. It’s like I feel like my skin gets itchy unless I take a shower.

Meg: Yeah. Yeah. And it might be because – well and I think there’s a difference too with where I lived in America and living here in Japan like the humidity is different. And so my skin gets more dry here actually. It has the opposite effect. So I had to be more careful here maybe than I did in America.

Todd: Yeah, that’s true. So what about – so washing your hair, you wash your hair every two days?

Meg: Yes. I wash my hair every two days, use conditioner maybe once a week. My hair would also get super dried out. I don’t know if you can see it, but it’s a little frizzy right now.

Todd: Yeah.

Meg: So that’s how naturally is my hair type, too. So maybe your hair type handles well getting showered, washed three times a day?

Todd: Yeah. I mean, well for one, I wash my hair usually twice a day, sometimes just once. But always after I work out, I have to wash my hair. But one thing I never, ever do is use conditioner. And I don’t understand why people use conditioner on their hair.

Meg: Well, short hair maybe you don’t have to worry about it as much.

Todd: Okay.

Meg: But with longer hair, and especially earlier this year, I had hair quite a bit longer than this even and the ends get dried out very easily. And they don’t replace like the hair oils because it’s coming from the roots. And so you have to add some extra moisture into the hair if you want it to stay looking decent. So yeah, probably more important to condition long hair than short hair.

Todd: Okay. Yeah, because I’ve never understood why people use conditioner because when I use it, it just makes my hair seem waxy.

Meg: Maybe you’re using too much conditioner or not washing it all out.

Todd: Maybe. I don't know. I have to learn how to wash my hair. Okay, cool.

Meg: Yeah.

Transcript

Để cải thiện khả năng nghe tiếng Anh, chỉ xem để tìm ra những phần nghe khuyết sau khi đã cố gắng nghe nhiều lần, nhiều lần mà vẫn không thể nghe ra chính xác những từ người bản xứ nói. Làm vậy để hình thành dần thói quen không lệ thuộc vào phụ đề. Khi xem phụ đề, chú ý cách người bản xứ nối âm trong từng câu, ngữ điệu, trọng âm lên xuống, những ending sound của những từ đứng đơn lẻ ngoài -s, -ed ví dụ như list, rest, like, watch, of ... (ghi nhớ ending sound sẽ giúp nghe được nối âm một cách tự nhiên), và những phát âm dạng rút gọn 's, 've, 'd, 're ... sau đó đọc lại từng câu đúng theo những chú ý này. Đọc làm gì? Luyện nghe thôi đọc làm gì? Thứ nhất để rèn khẩu hình miệng cho speaking, khi nói một câu dài, có rất nhiều chỗ mình tưởng chừng dễ nhưng khi nói thì méo hết mồm như kiểu bị ngắn lưỡi vậy, và chỉ luyện nói mới giúp mình phát hiện và cải thiện được những chỗ khuyết này. Thứ hai cũng là để cải thiện nghe, mình không nghe được chính xác từ mặc dù đã biết từ đó vì trong đầu đang tồn tại một phát âm sai của từ theo kiểu Việt hóa (do nhìn thoáng qua từ và đoán phát âm hoặc nghe được từ những người xung quanh phát âm sai nên cũng hình thành phát âm sai theo - tất cả đều là mình không cẩn thận trong việc tự tập phát âm chuẩn). Vì vậy việc đọc ra thành lời là cực kì quan trọng.


Source:

http://www.elllo.org/english/1351/T1399-Meg-07-Bathing.htm


Mini Game

Mình thiết kế một trò chơi nhỏ ở dưới đây để luyện viết và rèn trí nhớ (luyện não - Train The Brain). Nó gồm những từ mới mình đã đề cập ở đầu bài viết. Cách chơi: Với những gợi ý là nghĩa của từ, mình sẽ viết ra từ được nói đến ở đây bằng tiếng Anh. Có 2 chức năng kèm ở đây là chọn giọng nói và tích hợp thêm tìm kiếm hình ảnh (ghi nhớ từ qua hình ảnh). Bắt đầu thôi.

Integrate Google Images Search Engine

Words list suggestion

Ready? Click here to start!
Time remaining:
Current score: out of
You got out of . That's %!
      light bulb

      Mẹo nhỏ nhắc nhở mình học tiếng Anh

      Trước khi kết thúc, mình muốn chia sẻ nốt một mẹo cho những bạn mới học và rất rất rất lười lười lười giống mình. Xuất phát là một đứa lười, nên mình hiểu việc tạo một thói quen học tiếng Anh là rất khó, nhiều lúc biết nguồn hay để học tiếng Anh, nhưng cũng lười đến nỗi chả buồn vào. Vì vậy mình chợt nảy ra một ý nghĩ nếu bật trình duyệt lên mà trang cần học có sẵn ngay thì sao nhỉ, chắc chắn là lười quá mức thì vẫn sẽ tắt nó đi rồi mở tab facebook hoặc tab xem phim như bình thường, nhưng ít ra nó đã nhắc nhở mình cần phải học tiếng Anh, học luôn và ngay, hơn là vào lại trang đó, tìm tìm phần cần học nghe đã muốn lười.

      Popular posts from this blog

      16. Bạn có thích đọc truyện không? Hãy luyện đọc cùng mình

      43. [Reading + Listening] Historical places

      Chia sẻ tài liệu cùng luyện tập